I absolutely love Conference weekend. I look forward to it and before it begins, I find myself sad it will be over so quickly. This year, I found myself feeling like a boring person for not having any conference weekend traditions as I sat in my pj's eating junk food all weekend. And then I realized that is our tradition. We wake up, have a good breakfast, stay in our pajamas until dinner time, eat junk all day and absorb what is being said. That's our tradition and that's why I'm already looking forward to April. Below are a few of my observations of the weekend.
Conference with Clara
I thought I did a good job of listening to conference. I was in front of the TV for all four sessions. However, here are some signs that I missed more than I knew as I chased Clara around, took her potty and shared treats with her. First, when the second two speakers Saturday morning mentioned something about the five new temples that had been announced, I was shocked (I had taken Clara potty during the last few minutes of Pres. Monson's first talk and had no clue I'd missed something so significant). Then, a friend e-mailed me and commented on how she loved the piece about simplifying. I don't even recall hearing that word. And finally, the following conversation with my mom Sunday evening:
Mom: I loved how Elder Cook said sometimes all we can do is pray. I needed to hear that.
Me: Huh?
Mom: Didn't you listen to conference?
Me: Yeah, but I don't remember that part.
Mom: It was today, just barely.
Me: Right. Well, things aren't quite the same with Clara. (We laughed and I then told her how I'd missed the temple announcement too).
Aside from having a Clara distraction, I think another reason I missed some of these things is because I truly believe we hear what we need to hear. Other things touched me that might have gone completely unnoticed to someone hearing the same message. But the questions in my heart were answered, just as others received their answers through words that were seemingly insignificant to me.
Messages for Me
In Seminary, I remember a teacher telling us to pray for specific thing before conference and our prayers would be answered. I do this every six months. Every six months, it works. I don't always hear direct answers to my prayers embedded in the talks, but I receive comfort and guidance and assurance that things will work out. This time was no different. But I also noticed something interesting. Saturday seemed to be a day of answers to my sincere prayers. Then on Sunday, it seemed there was so much instruction and counsel for me regarding areas of my life that I need to improve. I didn't pray for this, but I know I needed to hear it.
I can't wait to get the Ensign so I can re-read the talks. I didn't take notes (I think that was a first) and I realized why I need to: so I can remember the thoughts and feelings I have at the time I hear the message. I might not have the same inspiration next time I get to hear/read the talks. Looking back, all the talks just blur together. I do remembering particularly enjoying Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on hope and the talk (Elder Werthlin maybe?) on not being angry. When life stinks, I try really hard to laugh about it, so I enjoyed his personal experiences about when he's done the same. That alone made me laugh.
Conference was inspiring, comforting and encouraging. And my weekend was relaxing and very enjoyable. Rich with our own special kind of lazy traditions. :)
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I totally dig the pjs and candy thing. That's the best tradition ever.
Hi Anna, remember me? Hope you don't mind I was looking at your blog :) I had to comment because I am so totally with you about the conference distractions. Mark wasn't home Sat morning and someone was screaming while President Monson was talking and I thought he was still announcing temples when there was a rumble, then a laugh in the crowd and I had NO idea what I had just missed. I just barely this morning looked at the video on the church's website and so I hope I've got it--greater Kansas City area is suppose to mean something? Okay, yeah I think I got it now.
What's wrong with pigging out? Plus, that's how I feel about church in general. . . "Was I supposed to get anything out of that?" I think I'm blessed to get tidbits and thankfully that's been enough to keep me going. I think that's the mom version of a spiritual feast. Snacking really. . . What will I do when I HAVE to sit and listen to three hours with no interuption?!?!?
Anna, you know you are one of my most favorite people of all time. :) when I was reading this post, I was like yep, yep, yep, I agree, this is why I love anna so dearly. :) I love how you stated that you missed some things, b/c you truly believe we hear what we need to hear. It's so true. I completely agree. When we are living in tune with the Spirit and seeking counsel and guidance, peace, reassurance on specific things/areas in our life - Our prayers can always be answered through the words and counsel of the Prophet and Apostles. If not fully answered, we receive peace and comfort to go forth with faith. I'm so amazed at those blessings. I am always filled with joy to the brim(and over) listening to the talks during conference, because I love the gospel so much!!! I always get so happy and excited over the thought that there will ALWAYS be a Living Oracle of God upon the earth to lead, guide, and direct His people! We are so blessed to have modern day revelation (I liked how that was talked about during conference.). I'm so grateful for the rich blessings of the gospel. Anna, I am so happy that you received some answers to your prayers.
that was jen by the way. it's logged into curt's google account. :)
Yeah, I completely understand... I didn't hear everything between Adalyn's potty and Jacob's nursing/crying... oh well, I'm glad it'll be in print.
Junk food and pj is how we do it too. I so understand what you meant about distractions during conference. I'm glad you had a good weekend!
I love conference weekend too. It was fun to junk food and lounge around.
Tyler might have a visit with the bishop Tuesday night. I will let you know. Sis. Pettyjohn is coming by tomorrow. She said he would meet with the Bishop next week.
Sounds like an awesome tradition to me! Very clever b-day gifts for Jason! You are so creative!
I love the jammie tradition! You know, I miss things too, but for a different reason, and it happens in sacrament meeting too. Someone will say something that really affects me and I ponder it for a minute. Apparently that pondering turns off my ears because when I start listening again I feel like I've missed something and don't know what they're talking about. Is it just me???
Post a Comment