Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The answer my friend...

There are some things I wonder.

Such as...

Why is it okay for someone to have a mannequin mimicking Sarah Palin hanging from a noose? Do you realize how fast someone would get busted for racism if they did that for Mr. Barack? And they are saying this isn't a hate crime. I seriously can't get over this.

Why can't politicians' ads spend time focusing on the qualities they have that makes them deserving of election rather than why their opponent isn't? Today I saw one, I don't even remember who it was, what political party it was or what the position was for, but it didn't say ONE single quality of whoever it was, only things ripping on the opposing candidate. Can't people say what they are and not who they aren't? Seriously. Grow up. And yes, both sides do this.

Are there really people out there that want higher taxes? Or does everyone think that life is magical and the candidate they support offers an equally magical tax plan that will lower their taxes?

When are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions and realize it's not the government's fault your child is in first grade and can't write the alphabet, it's not the government's fault you are overweight and it's not the government's fault you didn't go to college?

Why is it funny to me that our 401(k) has gone down nearly 37.5% this year?

Would there have been a more comparable number of Republican and Democratic jokes from Jay Leno and David Letterman if there was a different (meaning, not black) Democratic presidential candidate? I read those two late-night guys made 475 jokes about the GOP and only 69 about the Democratic team. I'm all about joking around, but slandering one side nearly seven times more than the other makes me think someone was afraid of being called a racist.

Why am I still awake?

...is blowin' in the wind.If I have the energy, you'll get my full-fledged opinion on this upcoming election later this week. If not, it just means that I'm totally worn down from work and life as I know it (an unpregnant life that is, all you folks that are waiting for the day that I actually am pregnant).

5 comments:

DeWitts said...

Amen! I agree with you. The news reporters make me sick. They hardly covered Sarah Palins hanging and i can't believe they said it wasn't a hate crime but they went all out on talking about her spending 150,000 dollars on clothes. I really don't understand. I can hardly stand to watch david letterman anymore he's so one sided and it makes me sad because there are some people out there that watch him to get their knowledge about the president candidates. Anyways i'm sick of politics and just hope and pray that something good willl come out of it. I can't wait to hear more about your opinion on the elctions next week. I already voted since i'm going to be gone next week.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

You know, it's funny that you happened to post this today. I just finished reading an article on reporter bias. It said that since the RNC, McCain has gotten four times as much negative press as positive and Obama has gotten twice as much positive coverage and less than half as much negative. I think a lot of that has to do with reporters fearing they'll come across as racist. It is especially interesting because McCain used to be the media's golden boy.

And as for Proposition 102, I wish we could discuss it over lunch too. I respect your view, but don't understand how anyone could think it would affect the schools. There is a causal fallacy. There is nothing in it that even mentions schools. And California and Arizona both have very broad opt-out policies for this very reason. Parents believe it is their right to decide what is taught along moral lines. I agree that morals should be taught at home and would choose to have Lily "opt-out" of any discussion having to do with anything I would consider "moral".
I also fear that there is going to be extreme backlash for the church because they so openly and generously supported this issue, to the point of telling congregations how they should vote.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Oh, and the book I published was called Greenwood

Cook Zoo said...

Oh sigh. Scottishrose is more optimistic than I am. If prop 102 fails, the same activists in Massachusetts will make their way here. Massachusetts HAS opt out laws - and the judges in that state are completely ignoring them. I know we don't want to believe that really happens, or that it can happen here, but facts are facts.

And the media has ALWAYS unevenly reported in favor of the democratic candidate - I think it's just worse than usual this time around. They use poll results to sway things too. It didn't work with Kerry, and I'm hoping it doesn't work now either.

JLynn said...

I have to comment on this! This is Curt. There was an effigy of Barack shortly after by to University of Kentucky college students. They were immediately arrested, the police took the display down, and the boys are facing expulsion from the University of Kentucky. The "halloween display" excuse didn't fare too well for them.