Sunday, June 15, 2008

Some of the Padres in my Life

I have a rather cool father that I love so much. Although his username is "ogre", he is a softy, especially when it comes to his girls. I have fun memories with my dad, many of them as a teenager telling him all about the boys in my life or working with him. I was never afraid to talk to him and we'd just talk like friends. There were times I didn't think he really cared who I was with, but one night, I got home past my curfew and he was gone, looking for me (woops :)). My dad is totally funny and incredibly smart. The other day he was looking something up on Wikipedia and I asked him what you get when you cross Bill with Wikipedia. Obviously, the answer: answers to anything and everything. I attribute much of my desire to get an education to him because he always made it seem like it was expected. It was never a matter of was I going to college, it was where. He believed in me and knowing how he saw me helped me strive for more than I would have without his influence. And to top it off, look at his awesome fashion sense! [My blessing day, 1981]
I also have to say Happy Father's Day to Jason's dad. To him I am very grateful for teaching Jason the importance of honoring the Priesthood, how to respect women and the value of hard work. Obviously he deserves some credit for raising such a wonderful person for me to marry. Not to mention he's such a loving grandpa.
Finally, a note to Jason, the best looking father of the fathers I recognize on this day. It always seemed Jason would be a good dad. I knew he wanted a big family. And then we started spending time around various newborns and he wanted nothing to do with them. Oh great, I thought, he'll be one of those dads who isn't real interested in his kids for the first 8 years of their life. Then Clara was born. Here's the first time Jason held her. I believe their bond was more instant than her's and mine. He would just hold her and rock her in the hospital and my nurse would always comment on it. Clara was always so good when daddy had her. Jason wasn't around much the first year because of school and I could tell he hated it when Clara treated him like a stranger. It didn't mean he couldn't get her to laugh and smile after a little effort, though.But the last six months, Jason has made an extra effort to be home more when she's awake. Clara gets so excited when she hears Jason come home (as do I!) and she loves to play with him. I am so grateful for how hard Jason has worked for our family. I know it's not easy for him not being around much and not being able to help, but he knows in the end, it will be worth it. We are really looking forward to being able to spend more time as a family. Lack of time hasn't kept him from teaching Clara how to fish.

[Jason's two favorite things in life: fishing & Clara]

Trying to get a picture today, this is how Clara was smiling. I kept asking her to smile and she would try so hard to get her face to look like this...

Happy Father's Day, honey. Thanks for trying to make me laugh during good and bad times (sometimes I'm really stubborn), for giving me the cutest baby in the world (Jason always told me if I wanted the cutest kids, to marry him, so humble), for working so hard and for being the best daddy for Clara. We love you.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hey Anna,

that's a cool picture of your dad. Did you scan it onto the computer? I love old pictures. Sounds like you've got great "padres" in your life. :)

Kate

angela hardison said...

Yep, Dad dressed so cool. Nice comment on my post - and you're right.

So Clara was being hilarious when you tried to get that last picture. She's awesome.

Julie said...

I love how you were able to talk to your dad. I love daddy/daughter relationships, but I guess that's all I really know and see in my life right now. And Clara's face. . .its great! I'm glad you have a pic of it.

Cook Zoo said...

This is a great post! Clara's little face at the end made me laugh. :) It always makes me happy to hear about guys being great dads. It's so important! Good job Jason!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I love the picture of Clara on Jason's lap at his desk. She's such a cupcake in that dress. And I love the headband. My husband doesn't let me put headbands in Lily's hair