Wednesday, January 30, 2008

1-800-BST-MMVR

The other night when I sarcastically said I wasn't going to work on the W-2's, I was, well, being sarcastic. When I started doing payroll for KS, we switched software, which entailed me having to manually enter data from the first four months of the year into the new software. When I found out we didn't have the licensing to print W-2's or 1099's from the new software, I ordered forms from the IRS. Silly me thought the IRS would send approved forms to print onto from a laser printer. They are actually archaic, carbon copy forms meant for dot matrix printers, type writers or hand writing. At this point, I was running out of time and figured my best option was to input the data from the new software into QB and print from there, since their forms are IRS approved. I attempted to run a helpful report from the current software and it wouldn't pull any of the data I manually entered earlier this year. I found myself entering the information from the current software into QB. Plus, I had to update all addresses since they weren't really kept current in QB before. Anyway, this process should have taken no more than a few hours and I've already invested about eight or nine and I'm still not done with all of the filings.

I got to a good stopping point around 1:30am on Monday after I had updated the information and was ready to review the W-2's I created. Tuesday night I went to Beka's Ward's book club. I think I was "accidentally" invited but chose to be obnoxious and attend anyway. It was fun and as Beka put it, "It's fun to use your brain sometimes." So thank you to the Ward that let me barge in. Afterwards, I went to visit with Beka for a few minutes at her house. My thoughts throughout the night... "If I leave now, I'll be home by ten and have a few good hours to get everything done: payroll, W-2's, etc." ... "If I leave now, I'll get home around ten thirty and I'll still be fine. It's good to visit every now and then." ... "Is it really almost eleven?" ... "Getting home at 1130 won't be so bad; I've stayed up all night working before." ... "I'm an idiot. If I didn't have work, I'm sure I would've slept on Beka's couch!" I think I left around Midnight, which isn't bad unless you have a full load of things to do THAT night. As much as I'd like to blame Beka, I take full responsibility for my actions. I was up until 330am working and got the most important things done.

I woke up wishing I'd done more but glad I did what I had. As my morning went on, my stubborn and proud self realized I just might need some help. I can remember one time that I've asked for help with Clara so I could get work done. I was trying to work while Clara was trying to touch me and get on my lap. Then, my cute little computer became not so cute. The power cord died (I think it overheated, along with my brain) and my computer battery was nearly dead. I quickly saved all my vital things as pdf's and put them on my jump drive. And that is when I called 1-800-BST-MMVR, pronounced "one eight hundred, best mom ever". It's actually the same number as my mom, imagine that. Superwoman didn't even think twice about coming to help me. There's NO WAY I could've got everything done I needed to and definitely not as quickly as I did without my mom. She came over and immediately started cleaning and watched Clara while she ate so I could take a shower. She stayed here while I went to KS (twice... the first time it was as I was getting out of my car I realized I didn't have my jump drive with all of the documents on it) to print everything I didn't at home and cut and distribute their makeshift W-2's (there's only one person I care about what they think about them... :)). Just as I was leaving, Daniel needed a ride from work to DI so I offered to do it. After all, I was in the area and it was the least I could do after how much help I'd received. My mom then insisted she take Clara home with her so I could just go to Scouts after I dropped Daniel off. So that is what we did. At first I was thinking, this is awesome! I want a nanny! Then I realized how much I missed Clara. While it was nice to get things done quicker, I didn't enjoy not being with her. It's like the first hour is kind of nice and then I just start missing her. After Scouts I went and picked her up. My mom tried to tell me she'd bring her home but I didn't want to wait and I think I would've felt so guilty sitting at my house without her. That's a weird concept. I don't think I've ever been at my house without Clara since she was born (15 minute walks don't count).

I'm pretty sure my mom is the coolest ever. Not only did she take Clara, but she cleaned my house so nicely so it was ready for the HOA meeting we had here tonight. Now, I have a headache from lack of sleep and I have anxiety thinking of how behind I am in work and how much harder it's going to be now to get caught up without my computer. But I can't imagine how much worse it'd be if I didn't have help today. Plus, I got the W-2's out an entire day before the deadline!! :) Goodnight.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Yep, mom is the greatest. She did pretty much the same thing for us on Tuesday night.

Jen & Blake said...

I am amazed at how updated you keep your blog with the small time that you have! You are so funny, I loved hearing about lovely w-2's and that I am not the only one that feels bitter when attending to countless meetings. And mom's truly are the best thing on earth! I am so grateful to have mine so close:)

The Blakes said...

Accidental or not, I'm glad you came to book club! I hope you'll become a regular!