Fast forward three and a half years (that's right, I'm old)... My bedroom is in need of some serious de-junking. Several times, I have tried to get rid of my programming books and I can't. I secretly wish I still coded because I miss it. Getting a program to work was like solving an incredibly intense math problem, only the results were visual, so even more gratifying. I still have every book I used and every project I turned in. The books were always close to $100 so at one point this stack of books was worth about $500-$600 (like many things related to technology, they were often outdated by the time the semester was over, unfortunately). I can't even begin to describe how many hundreds of hours I spent on my projects. Some only took 10-15 hours, but some took 40-50 hours. I could almost count on an all-nighter the night before a project was due. It's as if I feel like I will lose a little piece of my identity if I get rid of these books, a piece that very few people know about, which is why I guess I think it's even more important to hang onto. I'm strangely sad knowing I will most likely NEVER again open these books. Additionally, I may never write another program ever again. Even if I did get back into it, I would be so far behind because I haven't kept up on it over the years. The first language I learned was C++, then Java. I also learned HTML, XML and SQL, but Java was huge when I was in school. My Senior year was the last year ASU was teaching any Java, so by the time I graduated even that was outdated. So, why do I keep these bulky books that take up space and collect dust? And that's where you come in, to give me moral support and encourage me to get rid of them. Tell me I won't be less of a person if I never write another program in my life and it will be okay. Or, tell me there is a club for amateur geeks that write simple programs for fun... that would be even better!
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Secret Wishes
I am pretty much a nerd and I'm okay with that. However, that status was elevated to geek in college when I got my CIS degree. Congratulations, yeah for me, I'm a geek. I had one friend that kindly welcomed me every day in one of our accounting classes with, "What's up, dork!" I remember in my CIS cap course my Senior year the teacher had us share why we chose to pursue a CIS degree and my response was, "For fun." The only response I found more uncommon than that was a classmate who was a concert pianist and chose to get his CIS degree as a backup. I knew all along it was much more likely I'd use my accounting degree to build my career because let's face it, very good IT people have an innate quality that I don't. They were computer geniuses before ever opening up a book. I knew a future in accounting for me was much more promising than something relating to CIS.
Fast forward three and a half years (that's right, I'm old)... My bedroom is in need of some serious de-junking. Several times, I have tried to get rid of my programming books and I can't. I secretly wish I still coded because I miss it. Getting a program to work was like solving an incredibly intense math problem, only the results were visual, so even more gratifying. I still have every book I used and every project I turned in. The books were always close to $100 so at one point this stack of books was worth about $500-$600 (like many things related to technology, they were often outdated by the time the semester was over, unfortunately). I can't even begin to describe how many hundreds of hours I spent on my projects. Some only took 10-15 hours, but some took 40-50 hours. I could almost count on an all-nighter the night before a project was due. It's as if I feel like I will lose a little piece of my identity if I get rid of these books, a piece that very few people know about, which is why I guess I think it's even more important to hang onto. I'm strangely sad knowing I will most likely NEVER again open these books. Additionally, I may never write another program ever again. Even if I did get back into it, I would be so far behind because I haven't kept up on it over the years. The first language I learned was C++, then Java. I also learned HTML, XML and SQL, but Java was huge when I was in school. My Senior year was the last year ASU was teaching any Java, so by the time I graduated even that was outdated. So, why do I keep these bulky books that take up space and collect dust? And that's where you come in, to give me moral support and encourage me to get rid of them. Tell me I won't be less of a person if I never write another program in my life and it will be okay. Or, tell me there is a club for amateur geeks that write simple programs for fun... that would be even better!
Fast forward three and a half years (that's right, I'm old)... My bedroom is in need of some serious de-junking. Several times, I have tried to get rid of my programming books and I can't. I secretly wish I still coded because I miss it. Getting a program to work was like solving an incredibly intense math problem, only the results were visual, so even more gratifying. I still have every book I used and every project I turned in. The books were always close to $100 so at one point this stack of books was worth about $500-$600 (like many things related to technology, they were often outdated by the time the semester was over, unfortunately). I can't even begin to describe how many hundreds of hours I spent on my projects. Some only took 10-15 hours, but some took 40-50 hours. I could almost count on an all-nighter the night before a project was due. It's as if I feel like I will lose a little piece of my identity if I get rid of these books, a piece that very few people know about, which is why I guess I think it's even more important to hang onto. I'm strangely sad knowing I will most likely NEVER again open these books. Additionally, I may never write another program ever again. Even if I did get back into it, I would be so far behind because I haven't kept up on it over the years. The first language I learned was C++, then Java. I also learned HTML, XML and SQL, but Java was huge when I was in school. My Senior year was the last year ASU was teaching any Java, so by the time I graduated even that was outdated. So, why do I keep these bulky books that take up space and collect dust? And that's where you come in, to give me moral support and encourage me to get rid of them. Tell me I won't be less of a person if I never write another program in my life and it will be okay. Or, tell me there is a club for amateur geeks that write simple programs for fun... that would be even better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Get rid of them, clutter is no fun. Besides, if you ever wanted to get back into programming, I bet you could find a website that gives you enough info to do so.
I still have all my accounting books, plus all my CPA review books, and I graduated from ASU almost 10 years ago! Time goes by so fast. Just recently, I put them in a box and put them in our storage room. If we ever move again, I'm not even going to open the box - just toss the whole thing. I'm hoping that when I'm in one of my de-junking moods, I'll get rid of the box even if we don't move. However, I can tell you that I have not once used any of them in the last 9 1/2 years.
I would tell you to get rid of them, but I'm unable to throw away all my binders of schoolwork that I spent millions of hours on...however I did throw out some HTML/CSS books. Ryan's right though, there websites everywhere that give you the info you would need.
So toss them! It feels great...just like cutting all your hair off. Haha.
I say try to sell them! HAHA! I know they are outdate but as my dad would say "there is a sucker born every minute"! HA! I always sold my books back to the bookstore they day I took the final! My husband however, kept his and has never looked at them since. They are just taking up valuable storage space! Hey.. even if you only can sale them for a few bucks why not! One lady sold pokemon cards for $193 on e-bay.... there are plenty of suckers our there looking for some nice outdated JAVA books! :)
does letting go of the books, feel like you are letting go of a part of yourself or that certain time period of your life? do the books help you reminisce and remind you of your LOVE for computer information systems?
I understand, Anna. Not computer information systems...but the desire to keep a tangible object that holds some self-definition. you can always hold onto the memories, Anna. :) Really if you want to give your books a nice send off, the answer is: EBAY. :) Just think of all the value the books can give to someone else in need of solving the puzzles you were once eager to solve. The value in it for you: $$ maybe $$$, and the memories that go along with your fond books last a lifetime. love your friend, jen ;)
Anna- HOw are you? Where are you? It has been who knows how long. As far as the books go, I still have all my college anatomy books too, but I am pretty sure that the body is still the same as it was 3 years ago!!! Technology is crazy, but I say keep them, no wait, sell them! ha
Post a Comment