Thursday, October 4, 2007

Determination

Determination is... pulling yourself up on the couch over and over and over to try to touch the computer, trying to crawl away during a diaper change even after the attempt has failed miserably many times before, pulling yourself up on the swing eventhough it could be the most unsturdy object in the house, crawling to eat the shoes even after they've been taken away the 100 times you've tried before and my personal favorite: FALLING OUT OF THE CRIB FOR THE SECOND TIME. That's right, this morning at 545, Jason jumped out of bed and I sat straight up when we heard Clara SCREAM, not just cry. I could tell by the sound something happened and when Jason brought Clara into our room (she doesn't get out of bed that early), I knew what happened. Sure enough, Jason tells me: "She was on the floor". I didn't think she had enough upper body strength to pull herself up and over the top of her crib now that we lowered it, but apparently I've underestimated my little monkey. Her bumper isn't in there so she doesn't have anything to stand on. After Jason felt her arms and legs to make sure nothing felt wrong (LOL) she fell back asleep in bed with me. Normally she doesn't fall asleep when I am near her, but I'm glad she did because she's all stuffed up and needs some rest. So I'm just thinking even when we lower her crib all the way, she's going to be in a big girl bed in like six months! Okay, so this picture, not really related to my story, but I set her up against the wall to take a picture and she put her hands on the wall and just started scratching, loving the noise she was creating.Other things that have been going on: Monday night I got a call at 730pm from my client asking me to join a conference call at 800pm. Oh my, I was annoyed, but being the good accountant I am, I called at 815pm (mind you, I had to use Genny's phone since we are almost out of minutes). ONE HOUR AND FORTY-FIVE minutes later, I hung up. I took the phone back and the Kirby vacuum salesmen were there. I learned one important lesson: never ever ever let them into your house! I kept thinking they'd leave and it wasn't until 1130pm they finally did, so I visited with Genny for a few minutes and came home. Clara woke up at midnight and didn't go back to sleep for good until 2am and then I was up until 330am working (wah wah). On Monday her top right tooth came in (still no teeth on the left side) and she got a little cold so I'm guessing she was just miserable.
Tuesday I worked, went to the staff meeting (I was very tempted not to go since I was up so late), made dinner for my dinner swap (which I love, by the way) and then came home and went to bed early (well, 1030pm, that's early, right?). Wednesday I woke up at 645am and noticed I had a voicemail. My client called me at 630 am and left a message. Are you joking? Who does that? I was so annoyed I didn't want to call him back. Lucky for him, I do have a heart and I do feel bad for him although ignorance only gains my partial sympathy. I called him back (again, had to use Genny's phone) and this time we had four people on the line and talked for ONE HOUR. This could very well be what drives me to insanity. What's ironic is once our home in Utah sells, I'm sure we'll be caught up with this client, so it won't require this much time.

This week I have been thinking about a few random things I'm grateful for while trying to counteract my negative thoughts by looking on the bright side. First, my Bosch. I was making bread Tuesday and realized how hard it must have been to make bread long ago. With how much kneading is involved... surely they had some strong arms. Second, a baby that sleeps good at night. Clara waking up (if she ever even went to sleep in between crying) four or five times within two hours was by far the most she's cried at night, even when she was a tiny baby. It made me appreciate a good night's sleep, even if she's now into waking up at 630am (ever since we lowered her crib, I think she misses her bumper).
Finally, I am very thankful for my college education. I hate working as much as I do and wish I could cut back, but I can't until we sell our house in Utah. I am, however, glad that I have the education and experience that allows me to work from home and make a decently hourly rate. I couldn't imagine leaving Clara and feel sad for all those moms that HAVE to leave their babies. (Notice emphasis on the word HAVE... like in MUST...)
And now I am ignoring a voicemail from my client that I probably won't return until tomorrow and I feel pretty good about that. I am NOT on call 24/7 and definitely don't get paid enough to let him think I am. He's out of control and I am going to clean my house today, so there! :)

4 comments:

JLynn said...

yes, I was glad to read your post. I was thinking about you working so much and your house in Utah! so i've been hoping that you haven't been drowning in stress! glad your head is above the water! ;) hope there's much relief in sight concerning your utah home. i don't know anna, how you work so hard all day with what did you say ignorant people, have the patience to deal with them and then make home made bread. you really do it all anna. :)
I love the picture with clara scraping the wall. She looks adorable in the picture with her dress and hair. I have to tell you I think Clara looks very very cute without bows. even though I love your bows! clara is just a baby i think that doesn't need bows to look cute like some little girls do. i can not believe all of her "skills"!!:) so she climbed on the side of her crib to get out this time?? her new nickname should be monkey, because I didn't know a goose could do all that! ;)hope you have a relaxing weekend!!!

Miller Family said...

How sad that little Clara climbed out of her crib! Poor girl! Hopefully she'll learn her lesson, but baby's don't seem to get it...like you said...they have lots of determination! I love my Bosch too. Can't imagine baking without it. :)

Emily Widdison said...

wow, you are a busy mommy! Your baby is soooo cute! I hope your house sells soon! I'm sure that is stressful for you. Hang in there. I would buy it if we had a job!:)

Rhiannon said...

Hey that is funny that the Kirby vacuum people came because on Tuesday night they came to my house too. Mike let them in and I called to tell him that I was on my home from work and he said don't come home because they would stay longer. I thought it was funny. He just wanted the carpet cleaned he didn't want to get a new vacuum.